Points to go through- 1.What are dental cavities (caries) 2.Why tooth decays happens 3.What is the treatment of dental cavities- a. Fillings b. Root canal treatment c. Extraction 4.Are dental cavities preventable
What are dental cavities (caries)
As per WHO Dental caries is a major public health problem globally and is the most widespread noncommunicable disease (NCD). It is also the most prevalent condition included in the 2015 Global Burden of Disease Study, ranking first for decay of permanent teeth (2.3 billion people) and 12th for deciduous teeth (560 million children).
What are dental cavities? Why dental cavities/caries occurs? What is the treatment of dental cavities/caries? And how to prevent dental cavities/caries?
Dental cavities, which are also referred to as tooth decay is the most common and persistent disease nowadays. There are lots of bacterias inside your mouth when you eat something bacterias present on your teeth start degrading food particles and release an acid which can severely damage hard tooth substances. This leads to the formation of decay of your tooth.
Why tooth decays happens (what are dental cavities)
As we know tooth decays (dental cavities) happen due to acid which is produced by bacterias during the degradation of food particles in your mouth. There can be many reasons for dental cavities, which are as follows-
- Poor oral hygiene
- More eating of sweet food
- Eating food just before sleep
- Poorly formed teeth (a developmental disorder)
- Consuming high acidic food etc. soft drinks
Mostly food stocks in between and on your teeth. If stuck food will be there for a long time bacterias start degrading food particles and produce acid which decays enamel of your tooth causing holes. Initially, these small holes might not be noticeable but slowly with time it will increase in size and depth leads to advance dental cavities.
What is the treatment of dental cavities (what are dental cavities)
There are many ways to deal with your dental cavities. Treatment is carried out by a professional dentist. Treatment depends upon the severity of dental decay(caries/cavities)
Professionally your dentist may follow various options that depend upon the clinical condition of your tooth. Some major options are as follows-
- Fillings- Your dentist drills the affected part of your tooth with dental drills and remove all the decayed tooth, clean the cavities, and fill the empty space with desirable filing materials. There is various kind of filling materials, which is selected on the basis of necessity and condition of tooth and cavities. These are the most common approach of initial dental cavities.
- Root canal treatment- These are another option for advanced dental cavities which has already achieved sufficient depth and approached dental pulp of the tooth and causing symptoms. In root canal treatment your tooth is drilled to more deeper level till cavities have reached. Further reading: what is a root canal treatment.
- Extraction- In some cases, dental cavities have spread more and made your tooth non-repairable, extraction (removal of the damaged tooth) may be the only option left to your dental health care worker.
Are dental cavities preventable (what are dental cavities)
Dental cavities/caries is non-communicable diseases, and it is easily preventable by applying good and enough routine oral hygiene measures. Always remember maintaining good oral hygiene, regular dental visits, early detection, and treatment planning is the key.
Despite the common and widespread occurrence of dental cavities, it is totally preventable. To prevent dental cavities one has to make sure follow these steps-
- Good oral hygiene
- Brushing and flossing is the key- Brushing twice in a day with proper brushing technique followed by flossing is a must to prevent dental cavities.
- Early detection and cavities filling by a professional dental health care worker
- Have a healthy diet
- Regular dental visit